Thursday, July 20, 2006

Got Books?

You will be the same person in five years as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read.

Charles "Tremendous" Jones

I'm a better student now than I have ever been. Back in my early college day, when my hair was long, My TV stand was another TV that was broken, and the closest thing to strength training literature we had was Muscle & Fitness, I hated to read. Maybe it's because I was forced to read.

Don't get me wrong, I was an A-student (note to young'uns...go to class and actually pay attention). Just didn't like to read.

Now that I'm an information junkie, there isn't enough time in the day to read enough. I hate fiction (that includes the newspaper...what a waste of time. If anything important ever happens, don't worry, someone will try to tell you all about it). I'd rank it right up there with soap operas (anyone know if Hope's baby is Bo's or that other guys?). The exception would be the occasional Spider-Man or Batman comic just to stay in the loop (I kinda like Spidey's new suit).

These days it's business-related and training/rehab stuff. Getting a new shipment in tomorrow. I can hear my wife/CFO now, "You got more books (she always says that)? Aren't you smart enough already (smile)?" She understands.

So I guess my question to you is, what did you read today that will make you better...at anything?

Side note...I tried to read The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People on multiple occasions but kept falling asleep (seriously). So I just bought the unabridged anniversary edition of the audio book to listen to in the car. Don't worry. No one was hurt in the accident because I woke up just in time.

Pink Floyd is the most overrated band of all time.

Later

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've moved to my daily reading list...

Anonymous said...

How weird... 7 Habits had the very same effect on me!

Something to get around to that will make it easier to get through books like that, get a subscription to audible.com and buy an ipod (nano). You can store several books on there at the same time, the sound quality is great, and you can tote it around with you everywhere (not just your car). Who knows, with a good book on an ipod you may even take up steady state cardio!

Chris Correia said...

Very good thoughts, Bill. Unfortunately right now, I'm reading the Federal Election Committee's guide for Congressional Candidates and Committees. Does that count as improvement?

RE the 7 Habits, I've made it through about 125 pages of the book and an hour or so of the audio. Problem is, it was the same 25 pages five different times and the same 20 minutes of audio about six different times. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ