Thursday, March 22, 2007

Change Your Identity

Most people make choices based on how they identify themselves.

Many times these decisions are not congruent with their goals or desires.

For instance...I'm a smoker, but I want to quit (not me, but the figurative guy).

A smoker who wants to quit smoking but still identifies himself as a smoker will not be able to quit. His decisions are based on the fact that he is a smoker therefore he will always have the desire to smoke. Sure, he may be able to not smoke for a while, but because he sees himself as a smoker, he will smoke again.

The same goes for achieving your fitness goals.

Change your identity and become that person you desire to be.

Make all your behavioral decisions that influence your fitness goals based on the fact that you are a certain type of athlete or fitness enthusiast.

When faced with food choices, what choices do I make to support my goals?
How often should I train to achieve my goals or prepare for my sport?
What type of training should I be doing?

Answer every question based on your "new" identity.

Become who you want to be.

Later

0 comments: